Harassment of journalists: Inquiries to resume | Sunday Observer

Harassment of journalists: Inquiries to resume

Law and Order and Southern Development Minister Sagala Ratnayake told Parliament yesterday that 13 journalists were killed from January 2006 to January 2015.

Responding to a question raised by Kalurara District JVP MP Dr. Nalinda Jayatissa, the Minister said one journalist had gone missing during that period.

He said during this period, 87 journalists had been assaulted and 20 had been taken into custody. Four private media institutions had been attacked five times during the same period and the then Government officials had destroyed much evidence connected to those incidents, the Minister said. Minister Ratnayake said that investigations into those incidents where journalists were harassed and suppressed were being resumed and evidence was being restored with great difficulty.

Legal action would be taken against those who destroyed evidence. Some of those who had involved in destroying the evidence pertaining to those incidents are now in remand custody, he said.

Comments

CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
Image CAPTCHA
Enter the characters shown in the image.