SLFP: Battle between the two groups continue | Sunday Observer

SLFP: Battle between the two groups continue

The battle between the 16-member SLFP group that walked out of the government, and the remaining SLFP members of the government continues after the recent turn of events, where the former group has requested President Maithripala Sirisena to ensure that the other members of the SLFP will not participate in any reorganisation meetings launched by them.

A prominent member of the 16-member group told the Sunday Observer that the rationale behind this move was due to them opting to continue work with the coalition partner, the UNP, as opposed to the wish of the 16-member group, who have clearly stated that SLFP should move out of the government.

A prominent member of the 16-member group, MP S.B. Dissanayake made it clear that they would not invite the 23 SLFP MPs in the Government for the party’s countrywide local organisation meetings and added, that the party has so far not made any official decision in this regard. MP Dissanayake said the 16-member group’s Hewaheta meeting will be held today, June 17 following yesterday’s Nuwara Eliya meeting. He said the Kandy’s District organisation meeting has already been held. He said the aim of the 16-member group is to persuade the 23 SLFP MPs in the Government to join the Opposition as early as possible.

Already 12-13 SLFP MPs in the Government have expressed their willingness to join the Opposition. Those who are reluctant to fall in line with us can remain in the Government.

“If former President Mahinda Rajapaksa is made Prime Minister under President Maithripala Sirisena, we can make a Government of our own without the UNP,” he said.

Meanwhile, John Senevirathne has reportedly stated that they will contest future elections under the Sri Lanka Podujana Peramuna (Pohottuwa) party. According to reports the former president has assured them nominations. 

Comments