CR press red button at curtain raiser | Sunday Observer

CR press red button at curtain raiser

11 November, 2018
CR’s play-maker Tharinda Ratwatte makes a break to cross the line and score Pic: Thilak Perera
CR’s play-maker Tharinda Ratwatte makes a break to cross the line and score Pic: Thilak Perera

CR and FC proved the pundits wrong as they beat traditional rival CH and FC 24-23 in their Dialog inter club League rugby match at Longden Place yesterday after trailing 15-20 at half time.

The home team was better organized, played to a plan and pattern and were never unruffled despite conceding the lead twice to their opponents.

The way CR’s backs ran the ball and the way their forwards controlled the game up-front was refreshing to their fans who may look forward to a better season than last year.

It all came down to Tharinda Ratwatte’s late penalty to help CR and FC win the contest.

CH opened the scoring in the first half through a penalty in the 10th minute as place kicker Samuel Maduwantha did the honours.

CR replied when their foreign player Fijian Joseph Fuimaono touched down through a pass from Ratwatte but the conversion was missed and CR led 5-3.

CH went ahead 6-5 through a penalty by Maduwantha and scored their first try through Prasad Madushanka as their forwards drove over the line. Maduwantha made the conversion and CH led 13-5.

But CR came back into the game with a penalty put over by Tharinda Ratwatte who was also instrumental in scoring a try off a second phase move under the post to make the scores 15-13.

In the latter stages of the game CH skipper and flanker Yositha Rajapaksa crossed the opponents’ defense and scored their second try off a maul to which Samuel Maduwantha added the extra points.

But the match took a different turn as Ratwatte showed his class by putting over three penalties including a 50-metre kick to seal the result.

In-between Samuel Maduwantha put over a penalty but CR romped home winners 24-23.

After the match CH’s Sajith Saranga (shoulder injury) and Sathya Ranatunga (concussion) were taken to hospital.

Priyantha Gunaratne refereed