Seven from Seven for CH as Kandy goes tumbling | Sunday Observer

Seven from Seven for CH as Kandy goes tumbling

CH player Sajith Saranga collects a pass from his team mate Sudharshana Muthuthantri (Pic by Thilak Perera)
CH player Sajith Saranga collects a pass from his team mate Sudharshana Muthuthantri (Pic by Thilak Perera)

Charged with determination and ambition CH and FC continued their run of victories, their seventh in a row, to inflict on Kandy SC their second defeat in their Dialog League rugby championship second round clash at Race Course ground in Colombo yesterday.

The CH won by 33 points (4 tries, 2 conversions, 3 penalties) to 17 points (2 tries, 2 conversions, a penalty) to make their fans celebrate with loud cheering and running onto the field after the final try and conversion.

In conditions that were hot and dry CH played their hearts out with their renowned players as they defended to the best of their ability and made their offensive moves using their knowledge and skills in the best possible manner.

They never allowed the defending champions Kandy SC to dominate though they had a fair share of possession and endeavoured to make continuous moves. CH struck to their plan well and smothered any dangerous moves by Kandy SC.

CH began scoring in the seventh minute through a penalty put over by their ever reliable place kicker Samuel Maduwantha. Kandy forced a line-out three minutes later and worked their rolling maul to score through Heshan Silva for Thilina Wijesinghe to convert. Thereafter it was all CH who did the scoring. They went charging into Kandy territory and on winning a loose maul set their backs in motion for Nishon Perera to put the finishing touches after receiving a clever off-load from Adam Gauder. Surprisingly Maduwantha missed the conversion against the wind but he put over a penalty a few minutes later and CH increased their lead 11-7.

Next their forwards shoved and Kalindu Kariyawasam held the ball with him to go over the line and score. Maduwantha missed with the conversion again but CH took the lead 16 points to 7 at half time.

Kandy struck back soon after the turn around with Vishvamithra Jayasinghe scoring a grand try in the 45th minute.

Thilina Wijesinghe goalled it to reduce the deficit to just two points.

But CH once again came back and off a series of shot taps and moves full back Maduwantha was in front to have a hand in another try. He converted this try and CH were well ahead 23-14.

Kandy got an opportunity to reduce on the deficit when Wijesinghe put over an easy penalty.

CH were not to be denied of more points when Maduwantha put over a penalty from 30 metres out.

With the minutes ticking away CH made a move in the open and scrum half Sudam Sooriyarachchi received the ball to go on the short side just past one defender and score a try with great jubilation.

Maduwantha converted the try and referee Priyantha Gunaratne sounded the whistle for the end of the game leaving the CH fans to run onto the ground in celebration.