Isipathana cut down bigger Antonians in rugby opener | Sunday Observer

Isipathana cut down bigger Antonians in rugby opener

Action at the Isipathana Antonian match Pic by Thilak Perera
Action at the Isipathana Antonian match Pic by Thilak Perera

Isipathana College produced a scintillating brand of open rugby to beat St. Anthony’s College, Katugastota by 30 points (5 tries, a conversion and a penalty) to 6 points (2 penalties) in their opening schools rugby encounter played at Havelock Park yesterday.

Isipathana had to throw in everything to contain the bigger lads from Kandy and made certain to tackle low and bring down their opponents who had a major share of the possession.

Isipathana opened scoring early in the game when their former skipper Manilka Ruberu found a gap to dash over 50 metres and send winger Nipul Nirmala over for a try.

Ruberu made the conversion to lead 7-0.

Their next try was scored by Chamath Kodikara just a few minutes later and the conversion was missed.

Thereafter, St. Anthony’s who maintained play in Isipathana territory saw them earn an easy penalty and full back Thirusha Ekanayake had no difficulty from 20 metres out.

They earned another penalty again and Ekanayake kicked right from 27 metres out to give them the six points.

Isipathana led 12-6 at half time.

Ten minutes after the turn around Isipathana’s back division got into action when they won possession in the second phase and winger Chaminda Nadeesha was sent over by the corner flag. Isipathana continued to fight for possession and again off a quick short tap their back division got their act together and winger Kamitha de Silva went over the line.

The attempt at conversion by Ruberu hit the upright. Five minutes later the Anthonians were not ten metres behind and Ruberu succeeded with the penalty kick from 30 metres out.

A few minutes later the Anthonians knocked on and Isipathana were quick to collect the loose ball and worked the line to send Serasinghe over for a try.

Play remained in midfield after that until full time with Isipathana taking a comfortable lead.

Prageeth Weranga refereed.