Army too much for CH | Sunday Observer

Army too much for CH

An Army forward makes a break (pic by Thilak Perera)
An Army forward makes a break (pic by Thilak Perera)

In a game of fluctuating fortunes Army SC powered their way to a well earned victory over CH and FC by 32 points (5 tries, 2 conversions, a penalty) to 22 points (4 tries, a conversion) in a Dialog Clifford Cup knock-out quarter final rugby encounter played at Race Course yesterday.

Army came up with their unpredictable power play in the second half to overcome a stubborn CH outfit with the scores often reading with CH leading most of the way.

CH took a 12 points lead in the first ten minutes of play through a try by burly prop Sathya Ranatunga in the third minute. This was followed by another try by Dilshan Chathuranga in the tenth minute through some fierce forwards play. This try was converted by Samuel Maduwantha.

Then in the 30th minute Army got their chance to score. CH were working the ball among their backs and when one player failed to collect clean Dhanushka Talawatte collected the ball and dashed nearly 50 metres to score. Isuru Medagedera made the conversion to give Army 7 points.

CH scored next when they found a breakthrough and Anuradha Herath went over near the corner flag. Maduwantha failed to add the extra points to give CH a ten point lead.

With the first half fading away, Army kicked a penalty out for a line out and in the ensuing rolling maul sent Sameera Bulathsinhala over to the line.

The easy conversion was missed by Medagedara and CH lead 17-12 at half time.

Army scored in the second minute after the turn around when CH were working the ball among their back division and Shan Bandara of Army intercepted and dashed over 75 metres to score a much wanted try. The conversion was missed and the scores were levelled at that time.

CH scored another try ten minutes later through a series of loose mauls that saw Sajith Saranga barge over for an unconverted try.

Thereafter it was all Army to dominate the game through their powerful forwards who were in the thick of every maul. Besides, CH made basic mistakes at crucial times in this half that gave Army territorial advantage.

They won a line out from the 10 metre line and winger Madura Bandara went over off a three quarter move. The conversion was missed but Army equalized 22-22.

About 12 minutes later Army worked their back division and Shane Bandara went over for a try. With their reliable place kicker back in the side Gayan Salinda converted and Army took the lead 29-22 for the first time.

In the final stages Army earned a penalty from 30 metres out and Gayan Salinda kicked right to give them a ten point lead.

CH made a valiant bid to advance to the Army territory and in their haste knocked-on while going over the line which gave Army the opportunity to kick the ball out with the end of play.