Kandy hockey AGM today | Sunday Observer

Kandy hockey AGM today

The Kandy District Hockey Association will conduct their Annual General Meeting at the Peradeniya University faculty club Kandy today.

Once again plans are afoot to revive hockey in Kandy, which dates back to 1907 when the Indian Rajput Regiment occupied the Kandy Military Barracks, presently known as Police Barracks.

Kandy also has the proud record to have produced many national hockey players and captains among the men and women players.

The first “Bully Off” in Kandy was in 1907 at the Bogambara ground when Kandy Sports Club (KSC) and the Industrial School Team met. The captains of these two pioneer clubs were Europeans SR Hamer and R Sparks. The game was revived in the mid 1930s due to the keenness of PT Rajan, M.S. Jainudeen, KVD Paul and JO Mendis. At that time only a handful of clubs showed interest.

By 1940 hockey in Kandy was well organized with tournaments in full swing. As years rolled by hockey flourished in Kandy with several schools in and around Kandy taking to the game.

In the early days there were tournaments such as the PT Rajan Trophy, MS Jainudeen Cup for the League runners-up, 7-a-side tournament for the KPMM Seyed Ahamed Challenge Cup and the VHL Anthonisz Challenge Cup for the knock-out tournament. These games were played at the Wewalpitiya ground, popularly known as Rakade ground that was renamed PT Rajan ground.

Comments