England drop Hales | Sunday Observer

England drop Hales

LONDON AFP: Alex Hales’s representatives said he was “devastated” by the England and Wales Cricket Board’s (ECB) treatment of the batsman after he was ejected from the preliminary World Cup squad.

The ECB announced Hales had been withdrawn from all international squads following an off-field incident not related to cricket.

Hales was included in the 15-man preliminary World Cup squad for the tournament on home soil, but it emerged last week that he had been sanctioned under the ECB’s disciplinary policy for a second time.

A report in the Guardian newspaper said the hard-hitting batsman was serving a 21-day ban from cricket for recreational drug use.

Hales’s latest misdemeanour comes just a few months after he was suspended and fined by the ECB for his part in a street brawl in Bristol also involving Ben Stokes in September 2017.

The 30-year-old has been stood down from this Friday’s one-off one-day international against Ireland in Malahide, the upcoming limited-overs matches against Pakistan and the World Cup, which starts on May 30.

Comments