Methodist Church mulls legal action over attackers | Sunday Observer

Methodist Church mulls legal action over attackers

In the wake of the Police having failed to arrest any of the suspects related to the assault of a Methodist priest in Mahiyanganaya, the Methodist Church of Sri Lanka is contemplating legal actions against the accused, the Sunday Observer learns.

The young Evangelical priest was allegedly attacked at his prayer house in Weraganthota, Mahiyanganaya by three Buddhist monks, soon after he finished the Sunday service, the Methodist Church announced last week. Monks had hammered the priest in his face, back of the head, spine and stomach, Methodist Bishop Rev. Asiri Perera said. After the attack, one of the victim’s eardrums had been damaged. The victim is kept at a safe place due to threats.

There are two complaints lodged at Hasalaka police in Mahiyanganaya, one by the Methodist devotees who were eyewitnesses to the incident and the other by the chief Pastor in Bibile under the instruction by Bishop Asiri Perera. Sources at Hasalaka Police confirmed that nobody has been arrested with regard to the incident.

“Up to now, no one has been arrested by the Police. I am waiting to see what action they would take,” Bishop Rev. Asiri told the Sunday Observer.

He added, “If nothing comes out, we have to take legal advice as to what we have to do. There is a law in the country, and what happened was a criminal act”.

Meanwhile, the National Christian Evangelical Alliance of Sri Lanka (NCEASL) statistics show that there had been 61 anti-Christian incidents in different areas of the island during the first eight months of the year.

“I have also sent a letter to the Prime Minister. I am sure he will attend to this. Because when I was attacked in Anuradhapura last April, as soon as he heard it, he took action,” the Bishop said. 

Comments