Batticaloa MC bars burial of Zion Church attacker’s remains | Sunday Observer

Batticaloa MC bars burial of Zion Church attacker’s remains

The Batticaloa Municipal Council has taken a decision to bar the burial of the Zion Church attacker’s remains within the area of its jurisdiction. According to Batticaloa Mayor Thiagaraja Saravanapavan, a resolution on the decision was passed at their monthly council sitting held on Thursday (5).

Another resolution was passed to take action against government officials who had surreptitiously buried the remains of the suicide bomber without obtaining the permission of the council, Saravanapavan said.

On August 30, the Batticaloa Magistrate’s Court ordered the remains of the Batticaloa Zion Church bomber to be exhumed and reburied in another suitable location following protests in the area.

The remains of the bomber had been buried in the Hindu Kaliyankadu Cemetery on August 26 on the orders of the Batticaloa Magistrate. However, residents protested against the decision claiming it had hurt their sentiments, leading to a tense situation in the area.

Submitting a motion, the Batticaloa District Secretary had informed the court of the situation of the area. Considering the submission, the Magistrate ordered the exhumations of the bomber’s remains and reburial before September 2.

Muslims of the Kattankudy town in Batticaloa, earlier, had rejected a burial space for the remains of Mohamed Nazar Mohamed Azad, who authorities said, blew himself up at the local Zion Church, killing dozens, including children in the April 21 Easter Sunday serial blasts.

Comments