Millions in wrestling funds misused | Sunday Observer

Millions in wrestling funds misused

The current office bearers of the Sri Lanka Wrestling Federation (SLWF) is alleged to have mismanaged funds to the tune of Rs. 3 million during the past three years.

The funds were procured from the Ministry of Sports.

The allegations were made by the Secretary General of the Colombo District Wrestling Association HM Luxman to the Sunday Observer. He also said that the allegations were brought to the notice of former Sports Minister Harin Fernando who had appointed a special committee to investigate the matter.

The three-member committee consisted of KS Perera who was the chairperson of the probe committee along with LG Wijesinghe (member) and NK Abeysinghe (member).

The sum of money mismanaged is said to be the highest amount in the 80-year history of the Federation.

“The Committee’s Report revealed that the current office bearers, president RVP Perera and Secretary MACK Mallawarachchi were aware of this mismanagement of government funds. They (current office bears) are also alleged to have used the funds without proper audited statements.

“The Committee has also suggested the establishment of an Interim Committee until proper elections are held, but so far no steps were taken by the Director General of Sports Dammika Muthugala,” said Luxman.

Efforts to reach out to present officials of the Wrestling Federation proved futile.

Luxman said the Wrestling Federation is without a Selection Committee since 2015 and that the wrestlers are picked based on personal and private agendas.

Although the Sports Law states that a Selection Committee is a must, the selections are done by the General Secretary M.A.C.K. Mallawarachchi, Luxman told the Sunday Observer.

Comments