Kandy brush off Havies | Sunday Observer

Kandy brush off Havies

Kandy SC player Dansha Dayan is held by a Havelocks defender’  Pic by Shan Rambukwella
Kandy SC player Dansha Dayan is held by a Havelocks defender’ Pic by Shan Rambukwella

Kandy SC maintained their unbeaten run in the Dialog Rugby League when they played another robust game to beat a spirited Havelock SC side by 22 points to 12 points under lights at Havelock Park yesterday.

Kandy collected their points through three tries, two conversions and a penalty while Havelocks scored two tries and a conversion. Only if Havelocks had a reliable place kicker the margin of victory for Kandy would have been much less.

As usual Kandy SC started with a bang and took an early lead as they have done before. They scored 12 points in the first ten minutes. Their first try came in the second minute when winger Buddima Piyaratne was unstoppable when he dashed through for an easy try between the posts. However the kick at conversion was surprisingly missed by Tharinda Ratwatte.

Kandy continued to dominate through their forwards and the three-quarters too were threatening to pierce the Havies defence. They scored again when they won a scrum and pushed over with the ball between the feet of number eight Buwanaka Udangamuwa who touched down.

Tharinda Ratwatte made certain of the conversion and Kandy led 12-0.

Havelocks too played quite well after that and their forwards worked the ball to take it towards the Kandy goal line. They then found an opportunity to score in the 16th minute when a kick ahead was allowed to bounce by two Kandy players and Keshan Kavinda was quick to collect the ball and go through the gap.

Prince Chamara who attempted to convert, missed the somewhat easy kick.

Havelocks could have added three more points towards half time when Chamara once again missed with a penalty kick at goal.

Kandy SC led 12-5 at half time.

Kandy once again opened the scoring within the first minute of the second half. They were awarded a penalty and Ratwatte kicked right.

Kandy continued to play attacking rugby through their forwards and three-quarters and they gained much ground by easily handing-off the Havies players aside.

Then in the 12th minute winger Piyaratne made a break and on passing out to Kavindu Perera went through to touch down. Ratwatte was on target once again to give them an unreachable lead, 22-5.

However, Havelocks did not give up and on maintaining a robust brand of rugby they kept advancing into Kandy territory time and again. One such move saw Shawkit Lahir put the finishing touches to a forceful advance.

Sandesh Jayawickrema attempted the conversion with success.

Thereafter the game continued to change ends without success to either side.

Aaqil Jamaldeen refereed