CR leave Havies defeated red faced | Sunday Observer

CR leave Havies defeated red faced

Havelocks full back Prince Chamara attempts to break free from a tackle unleashed by a CR defender in their match at Longden Place yesterday Pic Shan Rambukwella
Havelocks full back Prince Chamara attempts to break free from a tackle unleashed by a CR defender in their match at Longden Place yesterday Pic Shan Rambukwella

CR & FC came up with an unexpected forceful brand of rugby to completely overwhelm rivals Havelock SC by 30 points to 17 in a second leg Dialog League Rugby encounter played at Longdon Place yesterday.

It took nearly 25 minutes before the Red Shirted lads came up with this fast and well coordinated pattern of play to score the points that were well constructed with five tries, one conversion and a penalty to two tries and two conversions and a penalty by Havelocks.

With this win CR retained the Jeff Mathysz Trophy by virtue of having a bigger margin of points difference from the two games they played this season.

Havelocks started off well taking control of the game in every department as they enjoyed an abundance of possession and ran the ball well only to face a concrete-like defence put up by CR. They were also unfortunate that they could not turn into points the opportunities that were created by them. They made many unforced errors and the ball-handling was also a bit suspect and often ran into the tacklers.

Havelocks opened the scoring in the third minute through a penalty put over by full back Prince Chamara. They had an opportunity of putting over another easy penalty but opted to kick to touch for a line out.

CR came back with purpose and off a three-quarter move after winning a line-out had Janidu Dilshan finding the gap and going over in the 25th minute.

They scored again in the 32nd minute when they won a line-out and on sending the ball out saw winger Reeza Rafaideen go over far left.

Three minutes later CR were awarded a penalty when the Havies line were off side and Mursheed Zubair put over the penalty to give them a ten points lead at half time.

With CR spirits high at this stage they continued to play fast and open rugby. It took just six minutes after the turn-around to score their third try as the tall and strongly built Dinuk Amarasinghe received a pass on the run of play which saw him doing a fierce run to score.

CR scored again five minutes later when a three-quarter move saw centre Kevin Dixon cut through with some piercing runs and pass over to Janidu Dilshan who went over untouched for his second try.

At this point CR were leading 23-3 and somewhat relaxed a bit. It was then that Havelocks scored their try. They won a line out and on working the rolling maul Shawkit Lahir was helped to go over the line for a try.

Santhush Algama made the conversion to get their tenth point.

CR then came up with their superb display again for skipper Omalka Gunaratne to barge over after Bandara took a quick shot tap for a penalty and gain some ground.

The try was converted by their reliable Rizah Mubarak.

With the minutes ticking away Havelocks took play into CR territory and on working the ball among the forwards Vimukthi Rahula run in to score a try.

Algama converted and Havelocks saved some face by adding seven points to their tally as the final whistle was blown by referee Hasantha Weranga.