Coronavirus - Chinese tourist dies in France | Sunday Observer

Coronavirus - Chinese tourist dies in France

A Chinese tourist has died in France after contracting the new coronavirus - the first fatality from the disease outside Asia. The victim was an 80-year-old man from China’s Hubei province, according to French Health Minister Agnès Buzyn.

He arrived in France on January 16 and was placed in quarantine in hospital in Paris on January 25, she said. Only three deaths had previously been reported outside mainland China - in Hong Kong, the Philippines and Japan. However, over 1,500 people have died from the virus in China, mostly in Hubei where it first emerged.

A further 2,641 people have been newly confirmed as infected, bringing China’s total to 66,492. In late January, France became the first European country to confirm cases of the virus. It has had 11 confirmed cases of the disease, officially called Covid-19.

Six people remain in hospital.The deceased man had been in a critical condition in the Bichat hospital in northern Paris, the Health Minister said. He died of a lung infection due to coronavirus.The man’s daughter is among those infected, but she is recovering, Ms Buzyn said.

Comments