Kandy sink Navy, assured of title | Sunday Observer

Kandy sink Navy, assured of title

Kandy SC’s Soyuru Anthony attempts to break away from a Navy tackle (Pix Shan Rambukwella)
Kandy SC’s Soyuru Anthony attempts to break away from a Navy tackle (Pix Shan Rambukwella)

Kandy SC once again relied on their speedy back division to earn them the tries and down a gallant Navy SC side by 39 points to 28 in a second round Dialog Rugby league game played at Welisara yesterday.

The game was played in a pulsating pace by both teams that brought about thrilling moves for the spectators to enjoy in ideal conditions. This win assures Kandy SC of the league title.

Kandy SC finished scoring five tries (a bonus point), four conversions and two penalties while Navy replied with three tries, two conversions and three penalties. The game began in a hectic pace and quite unlike in other matches Kandy SC took the initiative to take the first scoring opportunities. But it was Navy who began scoring posting ten points in the first eight minutes with fly half Isuru Kongahawatte putting over a penalty followed by a try and the conversion.

Kandy SC also maintained a fast pace game and were quick to score their first try in the tenth minute. A smooth move saw centre Srinath Sooriyabandara receive a good pass and he simply sliced through for over 35 metres to score. Tharinda Ratwatte put over the easy conversion.

Kandy player Dansha Dayan is gripped by a tackle

Kandy scored again seven minutes later when a forceful forwards move made Jason Dissanayake force his way over the line. Surprisingly, Ratwatte missed the conversion.

Navy struck back when they were awarded a penalty and Kongahawatte took the kick from over 45 metres out only to see the ball hit the post and rebound back into play. A Kandy player failed to hold clean and the ball fell forward for another Kandy player to field the ball from an off-side position.

This gave Navy SC another chance to kick at goal from 20 metres out and Kongahawatte kicked right to take the lead again by one point.

Two minutes later Kandy SC struck back when a creative move by their back division saw winger Buddima Piyaratne find his way to the line. Ratwatte converted to lead 19-13.

With the time just a minute away from half time Navy were awarded another penalty and Kongahawatte put over the long kick.

Kandy SC led 19-16 at half time.

Ratwatte put over a penalty in the third minute of the second half from 37 metres out and five minutes later Kandy SC scored again as Dansha Dayan received the ball when a Navy player failed to collect clean a pass and dashed nearly 70 metres without a challenge to touch down. Ratwatte converted with ease.

A little later Navy’s Radeesha Seneviratne went over the line after winning a scrum and pushed over but referee Priyantha Gunaratne did not offer the try indicating that Seneviratne made a double move.

But minutes later Navy once again won a five metre scrum and pushed over for Seneviratne to score the try. Kongahawatte had an easy conversion and Navy reduced on the deficit, 23-29.

Kandy SC increased the lead when Ratwatte put over a penalty from 23 metres out, 32-23 and scored again when they made a move into Navy territory and were offered a penalty.

Diluksha Dange took a quick short tap and went over the line for Ratwatte once again to convert and increase the lead 39-23.

Navy SC made one more move that saw Charith Ekanayake go over the line for an unconverted try.

At this stage Kandy were offered another long range penalty at the point of full time and Ratwatte failed to convert.