Royal blow up Antonians 41-14 | Sunday Observer

Royal blow up Antonians 41-14

8 March, 2020
St. Anthony’s College player Umesh Weerasinghe is stopped in his strides by the Royal College defence (Pic Shan Rambukkwella)
St. Anthony’s College player Umesh Weerasinghe is stopped in his strides by the Royal College defence (Pic Shan Rambukkwella)

Royal College thrashed St. Anthony’s College 41-14 in their Dialog ‘A’ Division inter school rugby match played at the Royal Complex yesterday while collecting their points from seven tries three of which were converted while the losers managed to reply with two conversions to the two tries.

Young Royal College hooker Rajindu Jayasuriya played a major role in this match and scored two spectacular tries, one in the first half and another one in the second half to register their first victory for the season in their very first match.

Royal scored an early try in the match when Chamuditha Chanaka touched down which Maleesha Perera missed converting.

The home team went ahead further when Jayasuriya scored through a driving maul and Maleesha failed with the conversion but Royal took a 10 nil lead.

Just before half time Royal skipper Lehan Gunaratne went over the line through a beautiful move and this time Maleesha fired across the conversion to give Royal a 17 nil lead.

In the dying stages of the first half St. Anthony’s scored through Hari Shivak who also made the conversion as the scores stood in favour of Royal 17-7 at half time.

Royal opened scoring in the second half when hooker and hero Rajindu Jayaduriya once again went over the line for his second try of the match and Maleesha made the conversion.

Royal led 24-7 and kept up the momentum to score through second row forward Janendra Nanayakkara but the conversion was fluffed by Maleesha Perera and they went into a 29 - 7 lead.

In-between, Antonian player Umesh Weerasinghe scored a try and Hari Shivak slotted in the conversion to cut down the lead to 29-14. But Royal College scored again when Chamitha Gunawardena intercepted the ball and ran nearly 55 meters before touching down under the post. Maleesha fired across a simple conversion and the scores read 36-14.

The boys from Reid Avenue capped a fine game when they scored a try in stoppage time through Maleesha Perera who missed the conversion and the final score read 41-14.

In the second half St.Anthony’s played a very slow game and made so many mistakes which was the reason for their thundering defeat.