Malaysian Court hears case on de-proscribing LTTE | Sunday Observer

Malaysian Court hears case on de-proscribing LTTE

The Malaysian High Court will deliver a decision on a judicial review application seeking to de-proscribe the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) on September 17. One of the 12 Malaysian Tamils arrested last year for alleged links to the LTTE, a taxi driver, V. Balamurugan, filed the application in the High Court. All charges were dropped against the 12 people in February this year.

At the time, then Attorney General Tommy Thomas advised that having photographs of former LTTE leaders on their mobile phones do not establish a criminal offence. The Attorney General released a eleven-page statement outlining the law and its application to the case against the twelve men.

“It is commonplace to have idols to whom hero worship is displayed,” he said.

Balamurugan also wants 17 other organisations and 39 people to be removed from the Gazette and the Anti-Money Laundering, Anti-Terrorism Financing, and Proceeds of Unlawful Activities Act.

In his case, the 37-year-old said the minister’s decision to declare the LTTE as a terrorist group was untenable as the Sri Lankan Army had declared the entity as a defunct organisation in 2009.

“The application should have been filed within 90 days after it was published in the Government Gazette in 2014,” Senior Federal Counsel Ahmad Hamir Hambaly had argued in the court, submitting that the application should be dismissed as the time for such action had now expired.

The LTTE still remains a terrorist organisation in Malaysia. - Foreign Media

Comments