TUs to present proposals to Govt | Sunday Observer
After studying ECT business agreements

TUs to present proposals to Govt

17 January, 2021

The National Council to Protect the East Container Terminal (NCPECT), a collective of trade unions in the fight against privatisation, will present their proposals to the Government on Friday (22) after studying business agreements at the East Container Terminal (ECT), Lal Bangamuwa, President of the Independent Port Employees’ Union (IPEU) said. Representatives from several trade unions met a Cabinet sub-committee yesterday (16) to discuss issues at the ECT. President Gotabaya Rajapaksa outlined this week the plans to go ahead with the Indian and Japanese investment project where 51 percent ownership of the terminal will be with the Government and the remaining 49 percent as an investment by the Adani Group of India and other stakeholders.

Earlier, a five-member committee was appointed to examine and report on the concerns regarding the development of the Jaya Container Terminal (JCT) and ECT at the Colombo Port. Two members from that committee were present at yesterday’s meeting.

Secretary of the All Ceylon General Port Employee Union (ACGPEU), Niroshan Gorakanage said the discussions with the Cabinet sub-committee were unsuccessful and added that trade union representatives will meet tomorrow, (January 18) to decide on a course of action to be taken against the Government’s decision.

“They said that 49 percent will be given to the Adani Group and others. We don’t know why they are doing this. Our demand is for the Sri Lanka Ports Authority (SLPA) to have 100 percent control over the ECT,” he said.

According to trade unionists they generated revenue of US$ 286 million through operations at the JAYA terminal, while two terminals that are operated by foreign entities made only US$ 120 million during the past four years.