Gaza: Large number of gunshot wounds among those injured in aid convoy rush – UN

by damith
March 3, 2024 1:10 am 0 comment 160 views

BBC – Many people treated for injuries following a rush on an aid convoy in Gaza on Thursday suffered gunshot wounds, the UN has said.

UN observers visited Gaza City’s al-Shifa Hospital and saw some of the roughly 200 people still being treated. Hamas, which governs Gaza, has accused Israel of firing at civilians, but Israel said there was a “stampede” after its troops fired warning shots.

Leaders around the world have called for a full investigation.

The incident unfolded after hundreds of people descended on an aid convoy as it moved along a coastal road, accompanied by the Israeli military, in the early hours of Thursday morning.

The World Food Programme has warned that a famine is imminent in northern Gaza, which has received very little aid in recent weeks, and where an estimated 300,000 people are living with little food or clean water.

In footage from the scene, volleys of gunfire can be heard and people are seen scrambling over lorries and ducking behind the vehicles. Gaza’s Hamas-run health ministry has said that at least 112 people were killed in the incident and that another 760 were injured.

In a statement on social media, Danial Hagari, spokesman for the Israel Defense Forces (IDF), said, “Dozens of Gazans were injured as a result of pushing and trampling.”

Lt Col Peter Lerner also told Channel 4 News that a “mob stormed the convoy” and that Israeli troops “cautiously [tried] to disperse the mob with a few warning shots”.

Mark Regev, special adviser to the Israeli Prime Minister, had earlier told CNN that Israel had not been involved directly in any way and that the gunfire had come from “Palestinian armed groups”, though he did not provide evidence.

On Friday, Stephane Dujarric, a spokesman for UN chief António Guterres, said a UN team had visited al-Shifa Hospital earlier the same day and seen “a large number of gunshot wounds” among the survivors.

He said he was not aware of the team having examined the bodies of any of the people who were killed.

You may also like

Leave a Comment

lakehouse-logo

The Sunday Observer is the oldest and most circulated weekly English-language newspaper in Sri Lanka since 1928

[email protected] 
Call Us : (+94) 112 429 361

Advertising Manager:
Sudath   +94 77 7387632
 
Web Advertising :
Nuwan   +94 77 727 1960
 
Classifieds & Matrimonial
Chamara  +94 77 727 0067

Facebook Page

All Right Reserved. Designed and Developed by Lakehouse IT Division